Bunny Takes a Break from Sheep Herding for a Snack

Posted on April 14, 2017

Bunny Takes a Break from Sheep Herding for a Snack

A different kind of post today, but I couldn’t resist! This is from a 1954 issue of Life Magazine, and pictured is “Harvey, the sheep-herding rabbit, eating some of the sheep’s food.”

Photo via Life / Jon Brenneis—The LIFE Images Collection/Getty Images

For a more modern sheep-herding rabbit, watch this video:

1. Bonnie April 14, 2017 at 8:54 am

Awesome!

2. B April 14, 2017 at 9:41 am

While it’s notable being with sheep here, this is pretty much normal rabbit behavior. I once observed it in the larger of the two unaltered male rabbits my neighbor kept loose in his backyard years ago. The dominant rabbit bossing the smaller one around, snaking and chasing. (My two house rabbits do a similar thing, tho not aggressive, frequently dashing out to make us stop walking by parking in front of our feet. They don’t even always follow this by begging, they just seem to enjoy messing with us!)

Unfortunately, I’d worry that the sheep might injure the rabbit just by running him over when cornered… (Things didn’t go great for my neighbor’s bossy rabbit, either: he was killed by dogs because he stayed in that territory, while the smaller one he drove away hopped a couple blocks to become my pet.)

Sure looks like the little guy is having fun, tho, and it proves it really is all about attitude not species!

3. Tomas April 14, 2017 at 10:14 am

not crazy about the theme music which promotes murder but the video is great!

• francoise April 14, 2017 at 10:39 am

Have you seen GET OUT yet? It opens with that song *shudder*

• Tomas April 14, 2017 at 4:27 pm

no, and maybe now I won’t! thnx for the heads up.

4. Ken & Kaci April 14, 2017 at 11:07 am

The picture from 1954 looks like a nose bonk between the sheep and bunny. I have not paid too much attention what tune is playing while Champis rounds up those sheep. Don’t think I want to now, either. Champis sure was a bunny on a mission 🙂

5. Holly April 14, 2017 at 11:25 am

This bun means business!

Thanks for posting DB, very interesting.

6. Lauren April 14, 2017 at 3:23 pm

I love classic rabbit pictures along with present day pictures as well, this is beautiful and shows farm life at its finest 🙂

7. Sharma April 14, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Awww, thanks for sharing!

8. Jean April 14, 2017 at 5:40 pm

I have enjoyed watching this video and showing it to friends since I first discovered it. Thanks for sharing it here! I’m impressed by the rabbit, but lost a little respect for sheep in the process. 😉 I like the music, encouraging a rabbit to run away from a hungry farmer.

9. Doreen April 15, 2017 at 8:35 pm

If you search YouTube for “bunny hearing sheep” there are other versions of this video with happier music. The bunny here really does a good job!

10. Tamara Snow April 16, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Pay closer attention to the lyrics. The singer wants the rabbit to run from the farmers gun & ruin his ‘fun’.

Thanks for uploading pics & vid! You helped make my afternoon!

Thanks to The Daily Bunny. I don’t communicate enough on this blog but it’s terrific!

11. Tamara Snow April 16, 2017 at 2:07 pm

Please pay close attention to the lyrics. Singer is advising rabbit to run and ruin the farmer with the gun’s “fun”.

Thank you for uploading the pic & vid! You made my afternoon!

Thank you, The Daily Bunny, for an awesome blog. I don’t comment enough about my thanks!