Bunny Nods Her Head “Yes” When Offered a Treat

Posted on January 13, 2014

Thanks, Dustin and bunny Uffa! Dustin writes:

Uffa was closest to the kitchen (the bunny fridge was part of her area) so she quickly learned that thats where the food was and that’s where all the preparation is done for food for all the bunnies.  The main difference is, the other bunnies automatically see food already prepared when they get fed but Uffa sees the entire process.  She has to wait patiently for treats and food to get prepared, and often, gets a little extra while the preparation is being made because I don’t like to tease her with the sight of food and have her suffer in anticipation.

Since the other bunnies already get their food prepared by the time I go to their areas, they don’t need to wait long from sight to consumption so they don’t need to try and grab my attention but Uffa, having some wait time, felt the need to communicate a way to get her attention. That, to me, explains the motivation part.

As for the nodding, I think that inadvertently came from me.  I have a strong habit of talking to my bunnies, and when I do, I am always nodding my head when I say things “Are you a good bunny?” or “Are you happy, Uffa?” and any question I ask her is usually accompanied with an affirmation of me nodding my head. So even at times where I am filling the fridge, I will speak with her, nodding my head, as I put food away, (and again, I know she is watching so I will give some to her) and I think she drew the association between getting food and nodding and she started nodding.

I don’t know how or when this started exactly.  I just remember it was near the beginning of November, I noticed her do it for the first time. I laughed when she did it, and I asked her “Did you just nod?” and she nodded in response. I was astounded, I grabbed my phone and recorded her doing it. Then I recorded some more over a short time. I shared it online and it got a few hundred views but it wasn’t until she passed away on December 20th, that I decided to share it with reddit.com, in hopes of getting a few messages of condolences. Reddit became overwhelmingly supportive and the video took off to where it is now.

The Huffington Post promoted it. It was on the cover of the website for People magazine. It has done well and it makes me feel good knowing she is bringing so many smiles to people.

Still, I would trade everything that video has done for more time with her. I miss her dearly.   I wish I could show her off to the world, live. She was beautiful, she was a princess, she was very happy and so very well loved.

I miss her and I love her :)

1. modishmox January 13, 2014 at 8:00 am

More condolences! How could you ever quit missing this sweetness. Uffa does make me smile :)

• ldndude January 13, 2014 at 11:48 am

Thank you :) She filled my days with a lot of joy. One of the things I miss (and don’t have on video) is the way she would squint her eyes while eating treats she really enjoyed. She was very expressive and very happy.

2. Marcy January 13, 2014 at 9:29 am

Uffa just made me laugh! What a cutie. Rest in bunny heaven!

• ldndude January 13, 2014 at 11:49 am

Thank you :) I wish I had her longer but I am very thankful that she shared her life with me and let me do everything I could to make her a happy bunny

3. Debbie January 13, 2014 at 10:48 am

Uffa was truly unique. What a beautiful bunny and incredibly intelligent. So glad you acknowledged her intelligence.

You were fortunate to have had the opportunity to enjoy her. I am so sorry that all you’re left with her good memories. I love my bunnies and also lost one a few years back. They are forever a part of you.

Thank you so very much for sharing her with all of us. She brightened my day, thanks go you.

• ldndude January 13, 2014 at 11:51 am

Thank you. The only thing, to me, that could be worse than being left with good memories, is never having had them at all. She gave me ample amounts of happiness. She was fantastic

4. ladylagomorph January 13, 2014 at 10:58 am

I am so sorry you lost your dear bunny! We lost our Nutmeg in 09. She would shake her head “no-no” if she did something naughty, once in awhile. Bunnies are VERY smart! We have two lovely bunnies now, sister and brother. We lost Bunners and Nutmeg, a bonded pair, at ten years old in 09.

• ldndude January 13, 2014 at 12:01 pm

WOW! 10 years. That’s brilliant. I wish I could have seen the no-no reaction. I am betting it was incredibly adorable. I’m also glad you are sharing your home to two more bunnies. I, too, will keep continuing to share my home to them.
      I have one that is over ten and a couple coming up to 10. Uffa, and her friend Natha, both died at 6 years, both in 2013 (Natha in January, Uffa in December). Sadly, both of them had health issues that shortened their lifespan. For Natha, it was e.c. and she had head tilt as a result. We accommodated her head tilt but eventually it caught up with her and her health crashed. We tried everything we could to save her. Uffa, herself, had a VERY large cyst growing inside her and required surgery. At the time, I couldn’t afford the high cost and had to do an internet fundraiser. (This embarrassing video was part of that fundraiser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOMai49a40I )

She recuperated from the surgery but was never up to full health again. From the time the nodding video was recorded (early Nov 2013) to the day she died (Dec 20th). Her weight dropped dramatically despite eating a lot. We ran tests and xrays but she passed on before we could pinpoint exactly what happened. I suspect heavily that it was cancer. The hard choice to euthanize her had been made but she chose not to wait and passed away at home. I pet her the entire time and did my best to comfort her during her passing. It was very, very hard.

5. Amy January 13, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Uffa looks just like my Dahlia! What breed was she? I’ve been told Dahlia is a dutch, but obviously the coloring is not supportive of that.

• ldndude January 13, 2014 at 12:28 pm

For years, I had been calling her a Rex but now that I have a Rex, I don’t think she is a Rex. I’ve been told she might be a New Zealand Rex but from what I googled, I can’t quite see it being so. I will be visiting my vet soon for a check up on one of my bunnies. I will ask him and see if he knows. Here’s a few images of her should anyone be able to recognize what breed she might be. http://imgur.com/a/V4hli

• Amy January 16, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I’m at the vet and the tech says Dahlia’s a harlequin rex. So, they are cousin’s

6. angela January 13, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Thank you for sharing this. She still brings happiness and smiles. I am sure bunnies understand quite a lot of human speech!

• ldndude January 13, 2014 at 10:20 pm

It comforts me whenever I hear she’s made someone happy or reminds someone of a memory with their own bunny. She’ll always be amazing

7. Francesco January 13, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Sorry for your loss buddy. She’s a sweetie!

• ldndude January 13, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Thank you. Wish she was here,

8. Bonnie January 15, 2014 at 9:50 am

Every once in a while a sweet bunny comes along like that :) Mine was Cadbury- she was a rescue and had a broken hind leg from being stepped on, and never set properly. As a result it stuck out from her body at a 90° angle . She loved napping with me and would snuggle up to me. I miss her too.

• ldndude January 16, 2014 at 1:12 am

There are two things I love most about my Uffa videos. The first is how much they are making other people smile….and the second is when it makes people reminisce about the good memories they have had with their bunnies. And I love the name Cadbury :)

9. Lisa January 16, 2014 at 12:44 pm