Bunny Amputee Lily Doesn’t Let Anything Stop Her from Exploring a Room

Posted on February 20, 2013

Bunny Lily is a Haven of Hope resident at the North Texas Rabbit Sanctuary:

Lily, the black Lionhead, [is] close to 18 months old.  Lily came to us with a broken back and had to have both back legs amputated… A custom made cart was made for her so she is be able to move about easily with her very own set of wheels!

Submitted by Andrea!

[This sanctuary is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that accepts donations to help defray the cost of medical expenses for special needs bunnies like Lily.]

1. karen February 20, 2013 at 7:17 am

Ah, poor lily how sad for her – at least she seems happy and healthy and active x

2. Christin February 20, 2013 at 7:45 am

I already knew that video, but I could start crying again, because it is just so wonderful! Keep up the good work!

3. Andrea February 20, 2013 at 8:26 am

When my 5 year old bunny broke her back, we put her down. I didn’t even know bunny wheelchairs were an option.

4. Chally February 20, 2013 at 8:39 am

Rabbits hop. It seems like she is trying to distance herself from that freakish cart. I love that you are trying to save/help her, but the cart may not be the best way. A better way might be to get deeper inside/ parallel with her bunny mind… x

• admiralsandwich February 20, 2013 at 11:53 am

What do you suggest? I’m sure they’d be all ideas cause the alternative is just putting the poor thing down.

• Chally February 20, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Well, I’m not a rabbit expert by any means, but I do know that they are innately curious, do not like to be restrained, and stress easily. I think what I’m thinking is more along the lines of creating some sort of “Joey pouch” for her, where she could see the world while feeling safe/connected (heartbeat) and also give her the option of burrowing down to hide. It would also be stretchy and gentle on her body; who of us can say if it hurts or not? In addition to that, allowing her to be mobile only under her own steam – a soft, safe area where she is free to explore her own movement capacity – and even more preferably, with a companion animal. After doing that for a while, pay attention to her response while being in the cart vs the pouch and then decide what makes her happiest. She may need some of all. Or more.

• Chally February 20, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Sorry. I meant to say – in the scenario when she is in a soft, safe space (“without wheels”, as it were) – that she could be brought items to explore and let figure out her own way of interacting with them, companion animal aside…

5. Francie February 20, 2013 at 1:23 pm

At first I thought the contraption was too heavy and complicated, until I saw Lily actually moving around in it. The PVC pipe is very lightweight and the cart supports her hind quarters so she doesn’t tire easily. She’s even learned to back up! Excellent job. Thank you for posting this video.

6. Nesbitt February 20, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I had a mini lop that had a back injury and the nerve damage caused her to lose the use of her back legs. I had a cart made for her by K-9 Carts and she loved that thing. Her front legs would start going before I could get her into the cart. She got around in it for a couple of years before her front legs started showing stress. I had her for 8 years, 6 years of that was with the back injury. She may not of been able to hop but she had a full life. Back injuries doesn’t mean you have to put them down. But you have to be dedicated to taking care of them. I miss my Snoopy very much. She was loved very much.

7. Debbie February 20, 2013 at 5:13 pm

What a beautiful little bunny. Nice work!

8. Sherri M. February 20, 2013 at 6:58 pm

wonderful that she would adapt to that and that people care enough to do that for her too….she looks like a fun curious little girl ! Rabbits do more than just HOP, I know that for a fact with my two darling bunnies.!

9. Andrea February 21, 2013 at 7:20 am

Also, you can tell just by looking at how happy she is exploring on her wheels that they have restored dignity to her life. I do not think all bunnies would take so kindly to wheels. But the rabbit society has done a great thing for her and she is a very confident girl.

10. JJ February 21, 2013 at 1:10 pm

OMB!! Lily is so freaking cute!!! She looks like she is enjoying herself. :)

11. Linda estes March 21, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Putting something down is a last resort based on how much you are willing to sacrifice from your own life. When it comes to the animals MNO(money no object)! Good job Lily!